Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The "terrible TEENS!"

I think most of us have heard of the "terrible twos"...when toddlers can be difficult! We're not quite there with Garrett and I wouldn't call the stage he is at right now terrible, but definitely different! Well, Garrett is now almost fourTEEN months old! Now that he is a "TEEN-monther" (ha ha ha....get it?!) he is showing us how independent he wants to be. For example, feeding him is a whole different ball game than it was a few weeks ago. He is demanding to hold the spoon and often screams if he doesn't get it! I knew this day was coming, I just didn't expect it sooooo soon! I sometimes give him the spoon (depending on MY mood!), but can usually get him to eat from me if I distract him with something else that he can hold in his hand. Take a look at this video and see just how cute he is when he takes the spoon!



Garrett is also having a hard time with his naps lately. As many kids experience around this age...two naps is too much, but one nap is not enough! As a result of this, we often find Garrett sitting up playing with his toys in his bed. Well, last week I could hear that he wasn't going to sleep and was having a great time playing. I assumed he was enjoying his toys and went in and found him with the the kleenex box from the nightstand by his bed with all the tissues pulled out and ripped apart! AHHHHH I asked him who made that mess and he gave me the cutest, most innocent look and put his hands up as if to say, "it wasn't me!" I unfortunately was in a hurry to get somewhere and so I didn't take a picture, but it was definitely a classic moment.

Last, but certainly not least, our little teenMONTHER is.....drumroll please..... finally crawling! Most kids his age are walking by now, but our little man has taken his sweet ol' time! He has been "crawling" backwards for a few months now, but decided to go forward last week for the first time! It was soooo awesome!! We have been practicing for a very long time and our hard work has finally paid off! He still doesn't love it and often still goes backwards, but he is making progress! He doesn't usually crawl toward what we want him to because he gets distracted with other things that I guess are more "interesting" than the toys we have! I even tried getting him to crawl toward me today with food (okay, I admit...it was a cookie!!!) and he didn't even want that! He goes where he wants to go and is having fun exploring his world now on his knees! Here is to many fun adventures ahead until we start to walk! We love our big boy!

8 comments:

Lana Schow said...

Yeah for Garrett! I'm so proud of him! I love the videos of him using the spoon. You are an awesome mother Trish!

Andrea said...

He's getting so grown up already. Yes, there is always something to make us (mothers) a little crazy and something to make us proud. Creates balance I guess :)

Lesley said...

I love it when he balances the spoon in his mouth with no hands! Hilarious! And that crawling video is too sweet.

Mike and Shayla said...

Wow, what a big boy!
Lydia was watching the second video over my shoulder. I guess she recognized your house because she said "We goed to that!"

Michelle said...

I can't believe he is so big!
(May I recommend the IKEA bibs with the full arms, they are awesome! Especially when kids decide they are big enough to feed themselves :] )

Danielle said...

I can't believe how far he crawled! He is definitely bigger! What a little sweetie!

Jenna said...

Yeah for Garrett!! I love watching babies just learning to crawl and walk, they are so funny the way that they move. Kind of like Lindsay's mechanical puppy you guys gave her!

Erin said...

We are so proud of Garrett! Good luck with the battle of the spoon!