Saturday, October 13, 2007

5 Things I'm looking forward to most about having a son


The other day, Trish asked me the question, "What are you looking forward to most about having a baby?" Being that I love lists of all shapes and sizes, I replied with a list of the top 5 things that I'm looking forward to.

#5. Sports. Can you hardly blame a soon-to-be-dad for wanting to play sports with his son? Whether it's teaching him how to throw a ball in our backyard or coaching his little league teams, I'm certainly looking forward to sharing my love of sports with my lil' sport.

#4. Seeing our tiny family get a little bit bigger (and I'm not just talking about Trish's cute tummy). One of the reasons I married Trish is because we wanted to have a family someday. While I've certainly loved the freedom that comes when it's just the two of us, I even more love the thought of having a family. I loved my family growing up, having siblings, family trips, etc., and now we can move on to the next stage of our lives by starting our own traditions with a baby of our own.

#3. A tiny family means tiny family photos. Since the day we got married, Trish has been talking about the different poses for family photos: in the canyon with fall colors, under the Christmas tree, on Old Main Hill in Logan wearing Aggie apparel, etc. Trish even has the outfits planned out. Family photos mean making memories. Of course, that means adding photos to this blog too! And if you know Trish, you know that she loves taking pictures!!

#2. Father and Son moments. Sports deserved its own item on this list, but I am eagerly looking forward to all the other Father-son moments. Blessing the baby in church, hearing his first words, teaching him about the great things in this world like ice cream, taking him camping, baptizing him, and the list goes on and on. There is a point in life when you feel like you've maybe lost some of the enjoyment for many of the smaller things. But having a baby will be a chance to see the world from a different angle and will be a chance to learn to enjoy life all over again.

#1. To see Trish be a mom. This has been a goal of hers for so long, and she worried for a while that it would never happen. But to see her holding our baby is definitely the thing I'm looking forward to most. I know she is going to be a great mom, because she has been a great wife.

I'd love to hear your comments about what have been your most enjoyable moments with your little additions, or what you are looking forward to most about having a baby of your own. Part of the fun about having a baby is just the "looking forward" process. For 9 months we know that a change is coming, and with that comes a lot of anticipation, excitement, and joy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Colin. At least 5 times I sighed "ahhhhhhh, how sweet." You'll be a fantastic dad! And Trish -- forget about it!

Here's my list, in no particular order:

#5 - The first everything - smile, giggle, tooth, step, word etc. So much fun!

#4 - Shopping for clothes - granted I'm a girl and I have girls, so it's a girl thing. But it's still fun. Too bad their wardrobes are bigger than mine!

#3 - Special moments you can't define in words -- sporadic moments of extreme joy, knowing you have a child and you love them no matter what.

#2 - Watching your baby grow up! My first baby is almost 4!!!! Can you believe it? I can't. But the fun thing is that every stage is so fun (maybe minus the temper tantrums). When Anna was first born, it was hard to think past the baby stage, which is so fun. But now that she's older, she just gets more fun and able to do things.

#1 - Knowing I'll have kids to help do the dishes so I'm not stuck doing them the rest of my life! (hehehe)

Rachel and Michael said...

I love having two boys and seeing them play together. Zander is almost 5 and Keagan is 1 1/2, and they love each other! And they mostly play great together. One of my favorite things is seeing and hearing them laugh, and laughing with them. This happens in the car, at home, when they are hiding from me, when I'm hiding from them, you name it. Their laughs are so sweet and genuine you can't help but join them. It keeps you young and focused on the good (because we all know the bad creeps in there occasionally)! I love my family and it's obvious the two of you will, also! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

That made me cry. You two will both be great parents. I am glad you live between my work and my house. I hope you don't get sick of me coming over.